The village of Greenwood was settled in 1770 by American Loyalists. They came to Canada, after the American Revolution, to stay loyal to Britain. It grew into the main commercial centre for the surrounding area. In 1940 it was decided that Greenwood would be come home to a Royal Air Force training base to be used to train recruits for World War II. Today, the now Canadian Forces base is still the centre of Greenwoods economy, and Greenwood is also still the commercial centre for its part of the Annapolis Valley.
The Greenwood mall houses many of the retail stores for the village, although the rest of it is bustling with commercial properties as well. In 2006 Greenwood grew but adding a new larger Canadian Tire store combined with a Marks Work Wearhouse as well as a Sobeys grocery store. The addition of these and other big chain stores shows how Greenwood has grown. In fact in the past 20 years the village's population has grown by over 45%.
Official website: www.greenwoodnovascotia.com